Friday, July 19, 2019

01 Really? ... what's another way to look at that

What I mean ...

  • Friends, strangers and businesses ... 
  • Tell you information they believe you want to hear -or-
  • Tell you partial (not all) the facts to lead you to their way of thinking
  • Provide information or opinion that supports their position or idea
  • Family is the only source of trusted information that is in your best interest not their's 
  • Your response or thought process is to ask yourself the following (below):

The set of questions I (Grandpa) use all the time include:
... "have I heard this before from an unrelated or unbiased source?"
... "is the person a trusted individual or has he/she been known at times not to be totally honest 
... "is there any way what I am being told is biased (or twisted) to present a single outcome?"
... "what questions can I ask if I wanted to NOT AGREE with what I am being told?"

Examples: 

Statement - "80% of dentists polled recommend this toothpaste"
Questions to ask - are there clinical tests, did they ask only those dentists that use that toothpaste, what does my dentist think, what does this offer over what I use today?

Statement - "Everybody to going to John's or Mary's party"
Questions to ask - who is everyone, did John or Mary invite me, is John or Mary a friend of mine?

Statement - "This item will not be available at this price after today"
Questions to ask - is this really a good discounted price, do I need this item or just wish I had it, why is the price so cheap - is it a returned item, not an original (a knock-off), does it have a warranty, is there a return option and does it cost me to return? 

No comments:

Post a Comment