Live with it (or without it) for a while
What I mean ...
1. We often see or hear of something that excites us
2. We (naturally) ONLY consider the positive attributes or positive things the purchase or change will bring us
3. We (naturally) DO NOT consider need, value, purpose or impacts to others
4. Most often it is best to keep the idea in your head BUT initially take no action until you live without the idea for a while
5. Results: you really don't want or need it; you do want it and now have a better understanding of what it needs to be; you find options to accomplish the same thing.
Examples:
GP wants to camp and buy an RV. I research and see all the goodies it has. I check RV dealers and I am convinced. GM says she's not sure if we will use it so I say let's think about it for a month or two. During that time (with the idea in my head) I learn ...
... they are expensive and lose value very fast
... they require a lot of maintenance and? cost to repair
... an RV would have to be stored somewhere for $$
... they take a lot of gas and get 10-12 mpg
... when would we use it
... our friends have one and it cost $80,000 and they used it 5 weekends
Conclusion: nice, could be great travelling, and a nightmare to keep - Don't Buy
GP wants to landscape the yard. I see all these designs and ideas and "I want to do the same". Rather than jump into buying shrubs and planting everywhere ... GM and I wait and see how we use the yard and dock. What we learned: GM crabs and fishes many times a week and a walkway would be nice; we like more privacy in the back yard - so plan a privacy shrub and tree side yard; GM needs water/hose on the dock - hmmm okay, a water line is put in before all the plants and trees are in place; etc. Whew! - I am glad we waited.
No comments:
Post a Comment